Bariatric Surgery Revision, Sugar Land
As bariatric surgery continues to gain popularity as a safe and accepted tool for surgical weight loss, situations arise in which a revision of a previous bariatric procedure may be necessary. Unsatisfactory weight loss or correction of a complication from a previous bariatric procedure may be reasons for seeking conversion to another weight loss procedure. Patients seeking bariatric surgery revision in Sugar Land can consult with Dr. Bonnor regarding options for revisional bariatric surgery.
Reasons for Sugar Land Weight Loss Surgery Revision
While there are many reasons for a bariatric surgery revision, some conditions include:
- Failure of mechanical components of the surgery, particularly lap band failure
- Not achieving desired weight loss results
- Continued nausea and vomiting particularly with adjustable gastric band
- Unsuccessful resolution of comorbidities such as diabetes, acid reflux and hypertension
- Complications from the primary surgery such as sleeve gastrectomy
- Poor or unsatisfactory weight loss from the sleeve gastrectomy or gastric bypass
- Significant acid reflux following sleeve gastrectomy
The bariatric surgeon will need to determine if postoperative weight loss failure is due to a problem with the original surgery or a result of the patient's inability to follow the necessary dietary and lifestyle changes. Revisional bariatric surgery is a very specialized and complex surgical treatment process. Great care is given to maximizing weight loss success while minimizing risks and complications.
Sugar Land Bariatric Surgery Revision Options
- Revision/Conversion of a Laparoscopic Adjustable Gastric Band (Lap Band) to a Gastric Sleeve
- Revision/Conversion of an Adjustable Gastric Band (Lap Band) to a Gastric Bypass
- Revision/Conversion of a previous Gastric Sleeve to a Duodenal Switch
- Revision/Conversion of a previous Gastric Sleeve to a Gastric Bypass
- Revision/Conversion of a previous Vertical Banded Gastroplasty (VBG) to a Gastric Bypass
- Removal of a Laparoscopic Adjustable Gastric Band (Lap Band)
A bariatric surgery revision is usually successful in resolving the associated problems and promoting further weight loss, although the results can vary widely depending on the original procedure. As revision surgery can be more complex and involve more risks than a first time bariatric surgery, it is important to choose a bariatric surgeon that is experienced and skilled in performing revision bariatric surgery. It is also paramount to know that in all bariatric procedures, the best weight loss results are achieved by patients who are able to comply with the diet and exercise recommendations. Consider a consultation and learn more about sugar land bariatric surgery revision.