Gastric bypass, still a great option.
Diet and exercise are always in vogue. By burning excess calories and limiting your intake of carbohydrates and other fattening food, you can achieve great results. But dieting sounds much easier than it is. Your stomach craves satisfaction, and your appetite derails even the best of intentions.
Gastric bypass surgery addresses the issue of hunger by literally bypassing parts of your digestive system. When your cravings are reduced, your chances of losing weight increase. Dr. Ricardo Bonnor, M.D, FACS, FASMBS has a well-established reputation for remarkable outcomes, skills, and expertise. Under Dr. Bonnor’s esteemed leadership, Texas Endosurgery can satisfy your hunger for improvement.
Schedule a consultation online at our Houston office, or call (281) 579-5638. Texas Endosurgery also offers virtual consultations to accommodate your busy schedule. No matter where you log on, Dr. Bonnor wants to connect with you.
About Bariatric Surgery
You do your best to stay happy and healthy, but it can be an uphill battle. Bariatric surgery is a term that encompasses several medical techniques to treat hunger and facilitate weight loss. Dr. Bonnor is an industry leader in the field of bariatric surgery, and he can guide your journey from overweight to overjoyed.
Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass
One of Dr. Bonnor’s most popular procedures is the Roux-en-Y gastric bypass surgery. Named for a Swiss physician named César Roux, the technique targets the stomach by separating it into two chambers.[1, 2] The small intestine is rerouted to process materials from each of the two bisected stomach compartments, forming a “Y” shape.
By altering the size and shape of your stomach, Dr. Bonnor effectively shrinks your appetite. The small intestines are reconfigured to support each newly formed region of the stomach to ensure optimal digestion throughout the gastric bypass experience. To learn if a Roux-en-Y procedure is right for you, contact Texas Endosurgery.
Before and After Photos
Gastric Bypass Benefits
Bariatric surgery is an enduring pursuit to help patients look and feel great. Weight loss is pointless if you are starving; it is impossible to maintain your results because you must give in to your hunger eventually. The benefits of a gastric bypass procedure are twofold. The surgery addresses caloric cravings and delivers amazing cosmetic results. Feeling good and looking great go hand in hand. Thanks to Dr. Bonnor, your outlook is harmoniously holistic.
Advantages of Gastric Bypass Surgery in Houston
- The short-term weight loss a patient experiences can conquer 70 to 80 percent of the excess pounds they are carrying.
- And the long-term results are even more promising. The data shows that up to 10 years after gastric bypass surgery, most patients maintain more than 50 percent of their excess weight loss.
- Gastric bypass is an excellent resolution of obesity-related health problems, which include hypertension, diabetes, sleep apnea, and acid reflux.
To enjoy the benefits of gastric bypass for yourself, call (281) 579-5638 and set up an appointment with a Texas Endosurgery representative.
Although the sleeve gastrectomy has surpassed the Roux-en-Y gastric bypass as the most popular weight loss procedure, it is still considered an excellent and appropriate intervention in well-selected patients. To qualify for gastric bypass surgery, your body mass index (BMI) should be 40 or higher. Candidates with a BMI of 35 or more qualify if their weight presents a threat to their overall health due to conditions such as type 2 diabetes or high blood pressure. Dr. Bonnor can determine your eligibility for gastric bypass during your comprehensive consultation.
Private Consultation in Houston
Health care is a two-sided conversation. Dr. Bonnor wants to hear from you so he can create the best strategy to fit your needs and goals. During your consultation, you will be encouraged to share your medical history and weight loss experiences. Specifically, Dr. Bonner wants to learn about any liver disease, kidney stones, blood clots, or heart conditions you may have.
In an effort to uphold our end of the health care conversation, we regularly update our blog. It gives us an opportunity to communicate directly with our Houston friends and neighbors. Feel free to peruse our posts and gather any questions that may arise. Bring them with you to your next appointment at Texas Endosurgery so our conversation can hit the ground running!
In addition to being a great listener, Dr. Bonnor is a double board-certified surgeon who has acquired extensive expertise in the surgical treatment of obesity. He is a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons as well as a Fellow of the American Society of Bariatric and Metabolic Surgery. Schedule a consultation with Dr. Bonnor by contacting his Houston office and filling out this online form.
During your comprehensive consultation, Dr. Bonnor and his associates will provide you with detailed instructions to prepare you for gastric bypass surgery. These directions will be customized to your anatomy and goals, so please follow them closely.
In general, it is always important to promote optimal circulation in the weeks leading up to any invasive procedure. You should quit smoking and stop taking certain blood thinners like aspirin and ibuprofen. Dr. Bonnor wants you to be at your peak health to experience the benefits of gastric bypass without any reservations.
Gastric Bypass Procedure
Once you arrive for surgery, we will help you feel comfortable. An anesthesiologist will administer the appropriate sedation as Dr. Bonnor prepares for the procedure. During Roux-en-Y gastric bypass surgery, your surgeon:
- Creates a small stomach pocket – about the size of an egg – by dividing the top of the stomach from the rest of the stomach.
- Then, the small intestine is divided, and the bottom end of the divided small intestine is brought up and connected to the newly created small stomach.
- The top portion of the divided small intestine is connected to the small intestine further down so that the stomach acids and digestive enzymes will eventually mix with the food.
Dr. Bonnor performs the Roux-en-Y technique for gastric bypass surgery laparoscopically, which means a shorter hospital stay, abbreviated recovery time, and less pain and scarring for you. To learn more about laparoscopic techniques and how they may facilitate your bariatric goals, contact Texas Endosurgery at your earliest convenience.
Recovery and Aftercare
Immediately following gastric bypass surgery, a medical professional will monitor your progress. You will be released to enjoy a restful recovery at home once it is safe and smart to do so. Please avoid strenuous activity for at least three weeks and consult with Dr. Bonnor regarding how much time you should take off work.
The long-term complication rate associated with gastric bypass is slightly higher than sleeve gastrectomy. Complications can be avoided with proper care, however.
- Patients must not take aspirin or other non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) after surgery.
- All patients need to take the supplements recommended by Dr. Bonnor for the long-term maintenance of their gastric bypass results. If they don’t, it could lead to vitamin/mineral deficiencies, particularly deficits in vitamin B12, iron, calcium, and folate.
You deserve 5-star service, and Dr. Bonnor insists on providing nothing less. To get a glimpse of your future satisfaction, please visit our glowing reviews page. We are humbled by our patients’ kind words and committed to earning even more accolades in the years to come.
Patients who have undergone extreme weight loss surgery are often left with excess skin. The areas typically affected include the abdomen, thighs, breasts, arms, face, and neck. The treatment of these problems requires not only safe and effective surgical techniques, but a good plan that will optimize patient safety, outcome, and expense.
Dr. Bonnor is a double board-certified cosmetic surgeon having experience in the surgical treatment of excess skin after weight loss surgery. His vast experience enables him to create a comprehensive and individualized surgical plan. Customized surgical plans may combine procedures and involve several stages to help his patients achieve their goals.
Call (281) 579-5638 to discuss gastric bypass surgery and its associated body contouring procedures. A knowledgeable, attentive member of the Texas Endosurgery team will direct your call and usher you toward a better tomorrow.
Dr. Bonnor is a compassionate caregiver. He works diligently to minimize any discomfort you may encounter during the gastric bypass process, and that includes your billing experience. By providing transparent pricing and financing options, Dr. Bonnor ensures that you will receive the best results at the right price. Contact our Houston office to discuss your budgetary questions and concerns.
- Vauthey, J. N., Maddern, G. J., Gertsch P. (1992). César Roux–Swiss pioneer in surgery. Surgery. 112(5):946-950. PMID: 1440249. Retrieved from https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/1440249/
- Casal, M. A. (1993) Cesar Roux y su anastomosis en Y [Cesar Roux and his Roux-en-Y anastomosis]. Acta Gastroenterologica Latinoamericana. 23(3):175-185. PMID: 8296518. Retrieved from https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/8296518/
- Schauer, P. R., Ikramuddin, S., Gourash, W., Ramanathan, R., & Luketich, J. (2000). Outcomes after laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass for morbid obesity. Annals of Surgery, 232(4), 515–529. https://doi.org/10.1097/00000658-200010000-00007